Looks like Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII isn't the only older PC game Square Enix are patching this week. As outlined in a community post today, Steam's edition of NieR: Automata is finally being updated on July 15, 2021, having previously confirmed this was in the works a few months ago.
Launched for PC back in March 2017, NieR: Automata's Steam version suffered with stuttering, crashes and video output issues for ultrawide monitors, among other issues. Though fans worked on their own fixes, this came to a head when NieR: Automata arrived on PC Game Pass with improved performance, which saw frustrated fans review bomb the Steam version.
Read More: Everything We Know About NieR Reincarnation Right Now
Nier: Automata's Finally Getting A Performance Patch On Steam This Week
As such, PlatinumGames confirmed they'd resolve the matter. So, you might be asking what does this patch address? You can find the full notes below:
Borderless Video Settings
- Borderless video settings have been implemented.
- A Fidelity FX CAS feature has been added.
- The system will now detect whether HDR has been activated in the Windows display settings, and automatically boot the game in HDR mode if it has.
- Adjustments to the anti-aliasing functionality
UI textures (4K)
- Approximately 270 UI textures for icons, backdrops and UI elements etc. now support 4K resolutions.
- The bit rate has been improved and all pre-rendered cut scenes adjusted, so they will now play in 60FPS and display in the correct aspect ratio without stretching the picture.
- A new “Global illumination” feature has been implemented. This can be set to three different levels; High, Medium or Low.
- Ambient occlusion/ bloom
- The rendering targets for ambient occlusion and bloom effects have been changed to dynamic resolution based on the game’s resolution.
- It is now possible to switch between recently selected display modes for screenshots, such as between full screen and windowed mode or between borderless and windowed mode, by pushing the Alt + Enter keys together.
- The mouse cursor is no longer displayed when using a game pad controller.
- The frame rate has been stabilized at 60FPS under default settings.
Other stability related fixes have also been implemented.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Nier , Anime , Gaming News , and PC Gaming pages.